19 June 2010

CWA International Dagger Shortlist 2010

I'm not going to get all of the CWA shortlist read.
However I have read three of them.
Which do you think I should try next?




This year there are six books on the shortlist. They are:
  • Badfellas by Tonino Benacquista,
    translated by Emily Read (Bitter Lemon Press)
  • August Heat by Andrea Camilleri,
    translated by Stephen Sartarelli (Picador)
  • HYPOTHERMIA by Arnaldur IndriĆ°ason,
    translated by Victoria Cribb (Harvill Secker),
    my rating 5.0
  • THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST by Stieg Larsson,
    translated by Reg Keeland (MacLehose Press),
    my rating 4.6
  • Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer,, translated by K.L. Seegers (Hodder and Stoughton)
  • THE DARKEST ROOM by Johan Theorin,
    translated by Marlaine Delargy (Doubleday),
    my rating 5.0
For more details about the shortlisted books, and why the judges chose them, go to the CWA site.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - I'm impressed with all of the reading you've done - no, awed, really. What to read next? I would say August Heat. Just my thoughts...

Bernadette said...

I've read the same three as you so don't know which of the other three you might like to tackle next. However I am just about to start Badfellas so I'll let you know what that's like in a few days

Kerrie said...

Since writing the post I have discovered that my library has all 3 that I haven't read just waiting to be borrowed - so I'm heading for library overload again!

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Kerrie I've read already three in the list and I will start soon Hyppthermia followed by Thirteen Hours. That will leave only one still to read, Bedfellas, before the winner is finally announced. Therefore I can only suggest August Heat.

Uriah Robinson said...

The three you have not read are all very different books.
You have a choice of an exciting thriller with social comment [Thirteen Hours], a police procedural with charm [August Heat] or a black mafia comedy with violence [Badfellas].
It depends on your mood, but as a Port Adelaide Power supporter I would read August Heat you need some light humour. ;o)

Uriah Robinson said...

Sorry Kerrie my comment about Port was intended as humour. Watching England's football team last night was a traumatic experience that astonished me, as I had seen faster movement in my physiotherapy gym from the participants with severe knee injuries.

Maxine Clarke said...

Badfellas and August Heat are both very short so won't take you long. And 13 hours is very exciting so although it is a bit longer, you'll probably whizz through it once you start. Not much help am I? ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin